Having enough RAM is critical when looking for good all-around computer performance. RAM is not expensive, and upgrading the RAM enables your machine to perform a lot better.
In this article, you will learn about how much RAM you need for music production and recording needs.
RAM Requirements For Music Production
Just by upgrading the RAM size, you will be able to witness a significant improvement in your computer or laptop. For music production and audio engineering, having 16 GB of RAM is recommended, and 8 GB of RAM is the minimum to ensure headroom for all relevant applications. As you go up in the performance of your CPU, you can jump up to 32 GB or 64 GB of RAM for a top-end system.
As per your use and experience level, opt for the RAM size for music production.
|Music Production Experience Level||Recommended RAM Size||Minimum RAM Size||Minimum RAM Speed||Ideal DAW Channels Count To Work With|
|Beginner||8 GB||4 GB||2133 MHz||Up to 24 channels with fewer plugins|
|Intermediate||16 GB||8 GB||2400 MHz or above||Up to 32 Channels With Instruments and Plugins. Up to 50 channels with fewer plugins.|
|Advanced||64 GB||32 GB||2400 MHz Or above||As per your project needs.|
RAM Size and Usage
Here is a table of RAM size and primary machine usage.
|Memory Size||Performance Level|
|4GB Or Less||Acceptable performance with office productivity applications & basic apps - Reading websites, searching the internet, sending email, social networking, streaming music or videos from the internet, playing simple PC games, viewing photos, using CDs or DVDs, word processing, building spreadsheets and other office tasks.|
|8GB||Working with large databases, complex photo editing and high-definition (HD) video editing can be supported.|
|16GB||Adequate performance with large files and mainstream apps, Working with large databases, complex photo editing and high‐definition (HD) video editing can be supported. Good For Music Production. Good for high-end PC gaming and graphics design.|
|32GB||Good performance for multi-tasking with relatively large files & demanding apps. Great For Music Production.|
|64GB||Great performance for large files & multitasking with high-end CAD, animation, analysis software and other demanding apps. Outstanding For Music Production.|
RAM Specs To Consider For Music Production
Specifications of RAM to consider for Music Production Computers:-
RAM Speed: - RAM speed is measured in MHz. A useful alternative to just adding more RAM is spending a bit more on faster RAM. With faster RAM and an overclocked CPU, you can get very noticeable performance improvements from 3000MHz (or higher) RAM over the standard 2133MHz. If you are not going to be running a lot of programs(multitasking) at once, then this is a good alternative to simply doubling your RAM. The faster the speed of your RAM (in MHz), the more functional it will be.
However, the size of RAM makes a difference, too. More RAM will almost always be better than faster ram. For example, if you have 32 GB of RAM at 2400 MHz, it will, in most cases, work better than 16 GB of RAM at 3600 MHz.
- RAM Protocols: — DDR stands for Double Data Rate. DDR protocols have evolved. Newer protocols offer more bandwidth and consume less power. Most modern computers are built to use DDR4 RAM, and they’re not backwards-compatible. Having the right protocol according to your motherboard is a must.
Using Single 16 GB Ram vs Dual 8 GB Ram For Music Production
Dual-channel RAM is like a two-way lane, allowing data to be read and written at the same time. That is why dual-channel memory is much faster than single-channel one. Always go with a dual RAM over a single RAM. Two 8 GB sticks will yield up to 25% better performance over a comparable 16 GB single stick. A dual-channel RAM is always going to be better for Music Production. If you are considering 32 GB or 64GB RAM, split it up rather than using one single stick. Dual 16 GB RAM will perform better than a single 32GB and so on,
Advantages Of Having Higher RAM
Having higher RAM will always benefit you while producing music. Here are some of the advantages and reasons why you should consider having a higher RAM size.
- Fewer Crashes and Freeze Issues: — If you have a low spec RAM, most probably you will run out of memory while producing music. Having at least 16 GB of RAM will ensure smoother operations for most music production projects.
- More Channels: — With higher RAM, one can work with more number of channels with ease and without crashes.
- Plugins and Sound Banks Function Optimally: Plugins and VST instruments are stored and accessed from RAM to avoid latency. So having higher RAM enables you to use more plugins and instruments.
- Run Multiple Plugins & Software Simultaneously: Having enough ram ensures you will be able to run multiple instances of plugins and different pieces of software simultaneously.
Best RAM Manufacturer and Models For Music Production
Here is a list of some of the best RAM models for music production:
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
- TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 3200MHz
- Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2)
- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Suggested Read: Laptop Vs Desktop For Music Production
Suggested Read: Hard Disk And Storage Specification For Music Producers
Suggested Read: Best Laptops for Music Production in 2022
Suggested Read: Windows Vs Mac For Music Production
*This post contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you. Learn More